Sunday, September 18, 2011

Embryo Transfer / Two Week Wait Begins

So it has been a loooong weekend.  I had my embryo transfer on Friday (09.16.11) and when my husband and I arrived at the clinic to check in we were told that the IVF Coordinator and Embryologist needed to speak with us. I was terrified because I only had 2 embryos at that point and I was expecting to be told that neither had survived.

We were told that another embryo had actually fertilized that they didn't notice (because it fertilized late).  It was a 5 cell embryo with significant fragmentation, so poor quality.   Last time I insisted on transferring everything I had left and I feel that is the reason that I may have had such a complicated pregnancy.  I had been advised by my OB to transfer only two embryos this cycle, regardless of the RE's opinion.  We declined to transfer the third embryo and ended up transferring one perfect 8 cell minimally fragmented embryo and one 6 cell fair quality embryo.

I have been taking it super easy this weekend and have basically put myself of modified bed rest. I was only advised to rest until yesterday but thought I would extend it to today just to be on the safe side.  My orders from the RE are not to "bounce" my uterus until further notice.  My uterus hasn't been bounced in awhile thanks to this process and Mr. H's need to produce for several tests and then the big day on Friday.

THE TWO WEEK WAIT BEGINS


Now that I am in the dreaded TWW, I am counting the days until I can (cheat) and take a home pregnancy test before my blood test.  I found this chart in January during my TWW and thought it was interesting.  This chart is for a 3 day transfer so it is accurate for my situation. 


9.17 - 1dpt ..embryo is growing and developing                                                            
9.18 - 2dpt... Embryo is now a blastocyst                                                                        
9.19 - 3dpt....Blastocyst hatches out of shell on this day                                                 
9.20 - 4dpt.. Blastocyst attaches to a site on the uterine lining                                          
9.21 - 5dpt.. Implantation begins,as the blastocyst begins to bury in the lining                 
9.22 - 6dpt.. Implantation process continues and morula buries deeper in the lining          
9.23 - 7dpt.. Morula is completely inmplanted in the lining and has placenta cells & fetal cells                                                                                                              
9.24 - 8dpt...Placenta cells begin to secret HCG in the blood                                            
9.25 - 9dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops                                                    
9.26 - 10dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops                                                 
 

9.27 - 11dpt...HCG levels are now high enough to be immediately detected on HPT            

I have to call the clinics tomorrow but I expect the blood test at my clinic to be on the 28th.  I am actually going back and forth on whether to test at home.  I didn't last time because I was convinced it didn't work.  Next week is going to be very emotional as Charlie's original due date was the 26th (my mom's birthday too).  I know that the OB wants to know ASAP when I am pregnant again so that I can be referred to Maternal Fetal Medicine.  Since the next baby(ies) have not implanted yet (most likely), I guess I have some time to decide.  I guess it will at least give me something to do/think about while I wait for the blood test day to arrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment